|
303 NEWS
Sunday, August 2, 2026
|
|
TODAY'S FORECAST
Current Conditions (as of 5:45 AM)
69°F (feels like 64°F)
Clear sky • Humidity 40% • Pressure 29.66 inHg
Overcast
High 102°F / Low 68°F
Feels like 98° / 64°
Wind: 16.1 mph, gusts 37.1 mph
1% chance of precipitation
Sunrise 6:00 AM / Sunset 8:12 PM (14h 12m)
UV Index: 8.4 (Very High)
About 14 degrees above the average high for this time of year!
|
| TOP STORY IN THE WORLD |
|
Migrants Return to Morocco From Spain's Ceuta After Finding Hunger, Closed Shops and Hostility
aljazeera.com | independent.co.uk
|
|
Hundreds of migrants who breached the heavily fortified border into Spain's African enclave of Ceuta this week have begun returning to Morocco, their hopes of reaching mainland Europe dashed within days. Those heading back cited an inability to find food, a lack of any viable path forward to the Spanish mainland, and reports of hostility from some residents of the enclave's predominantly Moroccan neighborhood of El Principe.
Many of the returnees said they had been drawn to attempt the crossing after viral social-media videos showed thousands of people breaching the border simultaneously. Brahim, a bakery worker from the Moroccan city of Fez who left his job to make the crossing, told Reuters he survived three days on water alone and was shocked by food prices on the Spanish side. "We came to make progress, not to be fooled," he said. "I thought I'd build a better future there. But I was surprised in Ceuta." Another returnee described Ceuta as "like a prison — nothing to do there. Everything was closed."
Some migrants reported being physically driven out of the El Principe neighborhood, though Reuters was unable to independently verify those accounts. Spain's Interior Ministry confirmed that two people sustained minor injuries in separate knife attacks and that one assailant had been arrested, while stating that no deaths from knife attacks had been recorded in Ceuta since Thursday. Moroccan waiter Yassine Ichou said he was hit and chased away from El Principe, alleging that a coordinated effort involving shop closures was used to pressure migrants into leaving voluntarily.
In Fnideq, the Moroccan border city directly opposite Ceuta, streets that had teemed with thousands of would-be crossers on Thursday were reported nearly empty by Saturday, with young men walking or waiting for taxis to depart the area. Across the border, Ceuta began showing signs of returning to normalcy, with some cafes reopening even as most shops remained shuttered and police maintained a visible presence on the streets. The episode underscores the persistent pressure on Spain's two African enclaves, Ceuta and Melilla, which serve as the only land borders between Africa and the European Union and have long been focal points for migration attempts from Morocco and sub-Saharan Africa.
The mass crossing and rapid reversal highlight the volatile dynamics at Spain's southern frontier, where the flow of migrants is heavily influenced by both Moroccan border enforcement and shifting conditions on the ground in the enclaves themselves. Spanish and Moroccan authorities have not publicly detailed coordinated steps taken in response to this week's events, and it remains unclear what formal measures either government plans to implement to prevent a recurrence. The incident is expected to renew political debate within Spain and the broader European Union over border management and migrant policy at the EU's external frontiers.
|
| DENVER METRO NEWS |
|
Colorado marks 150th birthday with statewide celebrations, downtown Denver festival
|
|
Coloradans gathered across the state Saturday to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Colorado's statehood, with the largest events centered in downtown Denver near the History Colorado Center, Centr... -- Denver Gazette
|
|
RTD's East Colfax bus rapid transit project protected from service cuts by $150 million federal grant
|
|
Route 15 along East Colfax Avenue — Denver's busiest bus corridor and the future home of a new bus rapid transit line — is effectively shielded from RTD's planned 2027 service cuts because of a $15... -- Denver Post
|
|
Colorado drought deepens: record-low streamflows, threatened hydropower, fishing closures spread statewide
|
|
More than half of Colorado is now classified in extreme or exceptional drought — the two most severe categories — according to the latest U.S. -- Times-Call
|
|
West Metro firefighter in critical condition after 50-foot fall during training exercise near Morrison
|
|
A West Metro Fire Rescue firefighter is in critical but stable condition after falling approximately 50 feet during a training exercise near Morrison on Wednesday, according to CPR News. -- CPR News
|
|
Wildfire near Pagosa Springs grows to 440 acres, forces mandatory evacuations of 373 homes
|
|
A wildfire burning near Pagosa Springs in southwestern Colorado has grown to 440 acres and prompted mandatory evacuation orders for 373 homes, according to fire officials. -- Denver7
|
| POLITICS & GOVERNMENT |
|
Colorado's semiautomatic rifle training requirement takes effect
|
|
Coloradans seeking to purchase rifles and shotguns with detachable magazines or gas-operated pistols must now obtain an eligibility card from a sheriff's office and complete a state-approved traini... -- Denver Post
|
| CRIME & PUBLIC SAFETY |
|
Adams County man sentenced to life in prison for domestic violence abduction and murder of Westminster woman
|
|
Jesse Gladney, 38, was sentenced Friday to life in prison without the possibility of parole after an Adams County jury convicted him of first-degree murder on July 24. -- Denver Post
|
|
No arrests made after illegal street takeover at Denver's Broadway and Mississippi intersection
|
|
Denver police responded to an illegal street takeover near midnight Friday at the intersection of Broadway and Mississippi Avenue but made no arrests and issued no citations. -- Denver7
|
|
ICE-detained Ecuadorian woman arrested at Denver International Airport released from Aurora detention center
|
|
An Ecuadorian woman whose arrest by U.S. -- 9News
|
| DENVER SPORTS |
|
Broncos stadium president acknowledges frustration with Burnham Yard process, warns 2031 opening at risk
|
|
Denver Broncos president Damani Leech said Saturday that the team's target of opening a new retractable-roof stadium at Burnham Yard in 2031 remains possible but is contingent on accelerating sever... -- Denver Post
|
|
Broncos training camp Day 2: Sam Ehlinger takes second-team QB reps over Jarrett Stidham
|
|
Sam Ehlinger took all second-team quarterback reps during Saturday's practice at Broncos Park, the second full day of Denver's 2026 training camp, with Jarrett Stidham running the third-team offens... -- Denver Post
|
|
NCAA eligibility injunction could expand CU Buffs rosters ahead of football preseason
|
|
A federal judge in Denver granted an injunction Friday allowing all college athletes from the 2022 graduating class — those who used four years of eligibility through the 2025-26 academic year — an... -- Denver Post
|
|
Daily Laugh
I'm an idiot. But I've found in life that being an idiot is not that hard and a lot of people can relate to it.
— John Mulaney
|
|
Read full summaries at 303news.org
|
|
No ads and no BS, just clean daily news.
|