Tuesday, Dec. 9: JSO Dispatch Failure + Main Street Bridge Preserved + JTA-Union Safety Clash
Tuesday, Dec. 9
Your local news briefing
5 Headlines You Should Know Today
🎧 Prefer to listen to the news?
Find Wake Up, Jacksonville! on
Spotify,
Apple Podcasts,
YouTube,
or wherever you get your podcasts.
JTA-union safety clash jeopardizes more than $100 million transit funding
A legal fight over the Jacksonville Transportation Authority’s safety plan now threatens more than $100 million in federal transit funding. Jacksonville Transit Management Corp., a nonprofit linked to JTA, has sued the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1197 for refusing to approve a revised Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan. At issue is the inclusion of the Ultimate Urban Circulator—JTA’s autonomous shuttle program—deemed “unsafe” by the union. JTA argues the standoff could jeopardize federal compliance. The lawsuit seeks arbitration to preserve funding and move the safety plan forward.
JSO dispatch failure ends with unarmed, uninvolved 14-year-old shot
A flawed communication system within the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office led to the mistaken shooting of an unarmed 14-year-old boy last month. Acting on outdated information, Officer Jacob Cahill fired four times as the teen fled from a stolen Kia, which officers wrongly believed was linked to a fatal drive-by shooting. The boy, who survived, had no connection to the crime. State Attorney Melissa Nelson declined to file charges, citing good faith actions, but called for major dispatch reforms. The JSO has since adopted her recommendations.
Task force pushes Mathews replacement as Main Street Bridge preserved
Two Jacksonville bridges are at the center of vastly different efforts. A new community group led by Councilmember Ken Amaro and Jacksonville History Center CEO Alan Bliss is pushing to replace the aging Mathews Bridge, citing its outdated design and lack of safety features. Meanwhile, the 84-year-old Main Street Bridge is being considered for the National Register of Historic Places, with a $100 million overhaul planned by the state. That project aims to preserve the iconic blue structure well into the next century.
Carlucci bill demands public venues for future Council installations
A proposed bill by Jacksonville City Councilmember Matt Carlucci is stirring intra-party tensions. So says opinion columnist A.G. Gancarski at Jax Today. The measure would require future Council installation ceremonies to be held in publicly owned venues, aiming to curb perceptions of exclusivity and undue influence. The proposal follows this year’s installation of Council President Kevin Carrico at a private, stakeholder-funded venue. Carrico dismissed the bill as a political stunt, while Carlucci said he’s open to applying the rule to all city officials, including the mayor. Critics question whether state law would override such local rules.
Springfield nonprofit takes over decaying Drew Mansion for community reuse
The long-vacant Horace Drew Mansion in Jacksonville’s Springfield neighborhood has a new owner with big plans. After racking up over $2 million in code enforcement fines, overseas owners have deeded the historic property to the nonprofit Springfield Preservation and Revitalization. The group plans to secure and weatherproof the structure before converting it into a public community space and eventual museum. Office space for small businesses is also planned for the upper floors. Built in 1909, the mansion had deteriorated into a neighborhood eyesore but will now be restored.
* Subscription or free account may be required.
✉️ Do your neighbor a favor — forward this newsletter or send them to our signup page.