Three men. 35 years. A confession beaten out of a teenager who did nothing.
Today in True Crime
by CaseBond · Source-backed daily true-crime history
July 13, 2026
Three men. 35 years. A confession beaten out of a teenager who did nothing.
On July 13, 2022, after more than thirty-five years of wrongful imprisonment, John Galvan was exonerated in Chicago when the Cook County State's Attorney's Office moved to dismiss all charges against him. He and Arthur Almendarez had been released from Cook County Jail the previous night, in the late hours after court proceedings concluded. By that morning, three men — Galvan, Almendarez, and Francisco Nanez — were finally, formally free.
The case began in early September 1986, when a fire broke out in a building on 24th Place in Chicago. All three defendants' families lived in the neighborhood — a fact that would attach itself to the investigation and never quite let go. Police treated the fire as arson. More than nine months would pass before they formally pursued the matter. In June 1987, officers interviewed a man named Mr. Partida, who said he had seen three young men walking through the alley near the burned building on the night of the fire. On June 8, 1987, police interviewed Jose Ramirez, who identified one of those figures as 18-year-old John Galvan.
What followed was a textbook anatomy of a wrongful conviction. During his interrogation, Galvan was handcuffed to a wall and beaten by police officers. The physical abuse produced a confession. In that coerced statement, Galvan implicated Francisco Nanez and Arthur Almendarez — the 20-year-old brother of Michael Almendarez, another young man whose name had come up during the investigation. Arthur Almendarez gave a statement of his own, and the prosecution had what it needed to take three men to trial.
The case rested on two pillars: Galvan's confession and forensic arson testimony. Both would eventually be exposed as worthless. But in 1987, they were enough to take three innocent men's futures away.
At trial, a witness offered testimony that should have stopped the conviction before it happened. The woman, who lived directly across the street from the burned building, told the court she had been watching the alley on the night of the fire. She described the group she observed. John Galvan, she stated explicitly, was not among them. That direct contradiction of the prosecution's entire theory was apparently not enough. The jury convicted him anyway.
Galvan entered prison at 18. He would not leave until he was 53.
The decades passed, and the evidence quietly crumbled. The arson science used to establish that a crime had even occurred was reassessed by modern fire investigators and found to be unreliable. Methods that had seemed authoritative in 1987 had since been shown to produce false positives — to mark accidental fires as deliberate ones, to construct the predicate for a prosecution where none actually existed. When that forensic foundation collapsed, so too did everything built upon it.
Legal advocates and defense attorneys worked the case for years. In the summer of 2022, the Illinois Appellate Court vacated the convictions of Galvan and Almendarez, recognizing constitutional violations that had tainted the original proceedings from the start. The Cook County State's Attorney's Office reviewed what remained of the case and moved to dismiss all charges on July 13, 2022. Francisco Nanez was freed as well.
Three men. More than 35 years each behind bars. A coerced confession beaten out of a teenager who had done nothing. A forensic determination that modern science would not recognize as valid. And a witness who watched the alley that night, who went to court and said John Galvan was not there — testimony that did not save him.
Following their release, Galvan, Almendarez, and Nanez pursued civil accountability for what the system had taken from them. The three men reached a combined settlement of $48 million for their wrongful imprisonment. It was acknowledgment, rendered in the language the system speaks most fluently, that something irrecoverable had been done.
John Galvan was 18 years old when police handcuffed him to a wall and beat a confession out of him. He gave them what they demanded. It cost him 35 years.
Also on this day
-
Fugitive Killer Lindaman Arrested in California on Murder Warrant, July 13, 1979 · YouTubeOn July 13, 1979, a man named Lindaman, who had fled to San Bernardino, California, was arrested on an unrelated murder warrant after evading authorities.
-
Arellano-Felix Cartel Lieutenant Juan Sillas-Rocha Pleads Guilty to Murder Conspiracy, July 13, 2025 · U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)Juan Sillas-Rocha, 45, a lieutenant in the Arellano-Felix cartel, pleaded guilty in federal court in Fargo, North Dakota to conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, continuing criminal enterprise, and conspiracy to commit murder in furtherance of a continuing criminal enterprise.
-
13 Armenian Organized Crime Members Arrested in $83 Million Amazon Cargo Theft and Murder Plot, July 13, 2025 · InstagramFederal authorities arrested 13 members of an Armenian organized crime syndicate operating out of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California and Florida on charges including attempted murder, kidnapping, illegal weapons possession, and an $83 million Amazon cargo theft scheme.
-
Lindaman Arrested for Unrelated Murder Warrant — 1979 · youtube.comOn July 13, 1979, Lindaman, who had fled to San Bernardino, Calif., was arrested on an unrelated murder warrant issued by what was then the
-
Arellano-Felix Cartel Lieutenant Pleads Guilty — 2025 · ice.govAn official website of the United States government. A **.gov** website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. — U.S. Attorney Mac Schneider for the District of North Dakota announced that Juan Sillas-Rocha, 45, of Tijuana, Mexico, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distri
Just hit reply. Tell me what grabbed you, what you'd want more of, or a case you can't stop thinking about. I read everything.
Sources used/checked for this issue
- John Galvan Walks Free in Chicago After 35 Years in Prison, Innocence Project — "John Galvan Walks Free in Chicago After 35 Years in Prison," Innocence Project. https://innocenceproject.org/news/john-galvan-walks-free-in-chicago-after-35-years-in-prison
- John Galvan — Case Profile, Innocence Project — "John Galvan," Innocence Project Cases. https://innocenceproject.org/cases/john-galvan
- John Galvan, Arthur Almendarez, and Francisco Nanez Are Exonerated, Innocence Project — "John Galvan, Arthur Almendarez, and Francisco Nanez Are Exonerated," Innocence Project. https://innocenceproject.org/news/john-galvan-arthur-almendarez-and-francisco-nanez-are-exonerated
- Wrongful Conviction Settlement: John Galvan, Arthur Almendarez, Francisco Nanez, CBS News Chicago — "Wrongful Conviction Settlement: John Galvan, Arthur Almendarez, Francisco Nanez," CBS News Chicago. https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/wrongful-conviction-settlement-john-galvan-arthur-almendarez-francisco-nanez-arson-murder
Today in True Crime by CaseBond — 2026-07-13